Stripes beat Mosta to register first victory

by Ayrton Galea - 10th September 2017
Birkirkara FC
Premier League

Victor Tedesco Stadium

09/09/2017 - 20:15
Mosta FC

Birkirkara FC registered the first victory in the BOV Premier League, when in the return of Coach Paul Zammit as the new Coach, they scored twice inside the second half to defeat Mosta with a 2-0 score.

In a balanced match, where both teams had their chances, Birkirkara had to wait for sixteen minutes from time to break Mosta's resistance when converting a penalty. The Stripes went on to wrap-up their victory with a late goal to pick-up the first three points of the league.

Coach Paul Zammit made five changes from the last match. Cain Attard, Jake Grech, Luke Montebello, Mislav Andelkovic and Nikola Vukanac were all given the nod to start as they replaced Renato Camilo, Carlos Alberto, Kurt Zammit, Matthew Guillaumier and Martin Klein. On the other hand, Club's latest signing Landry Mulemo wasn't eligible to play this match.

The First Half

The Stripes produced their first opportunity on the fifth minute. A direct free-kick by Ryan Camenzuli ended wide. On the other hand, Mosta created their first chance six minutes later when Kurt Magro's header, off a free-kick from the left, ended wide.

Mosta created another scoring opportunity on the eighteenth minute. Andelkovic's erratic pass was picked up by Christian Fernandes and he advanced forward but his curling shot ended wide. Birkirkara replied two minutes later with a powerful shot of Jake Grech that ended wide.

The Stripes lost a good opportunity on the twenty-fourth minute. Bruno Andrade beat his opponent and dashed inside the box, before serving Cain Attard in an ideal position but the latter failed to connect with the ball properly, as his effort ended wide.

Mosta went close two minutes later with a fast break-away but Leonardo Ferreira's shot from a diagonal position ended wide.

The best scoring opportunity was for Mosta five minutes from half-time, but goalkeeper Philip Schranz made himself big as he made a brilliant save to deny David Nworah in a one-versus-one situation.

The Second Half

Coach Paul Zammit affected the first change for the start of the second half when he included Edward Herrera off Luke Montebello. The inclusion of Herrera seemed to inject fresh ideas as the Stripes went on being all over their opponents in the opening stages of the second half.

Birkirkara created the first opportunity of the second half. A cross by Attard found N'For who lay off the ball to Andelkovic, but the latter's shot ended over.

The Stripes were unlucky not to take the lead on the fifty-fourth minute, but Llywelyn Cremona's low drive hit the foot of the post, with the other Birkirkara forward unable to take the rebound. The Stripes went close again two minutes later but N'for failed to connect off a low cross by Grech.

The Stripes went close again. A cross by Fernandes was headed by Maia but Vella made an excellent save from close range. From the rebound, Andelkovic's shot was deflected into a corner kick.

Mosta went close on the hour mark with a diagonal shot, but goalkeeper Philip Schranz made a fine save to deflect the ball into a corner kick. A header by Lucas Maia ended wide twenty minutes inside the second half.

The Stripes were rewarded for their improvement inside the second half, as they surged ahead sixteen minutes from time. Ernest N'for was fouled inside the box and referee Philip Farrugia ordered the penalty. From the spot, N'For made no mistake to score his first goal with our Club.

Boosted by the opening goal, the Stripes continued to push forward and they wrapped-up the victory with the second goal five minutes from time. Substitute Matthew Guillaumier scored a gem of a goal as his shot from outside the box hit hard past goalkeeper Andreas Vella.

More woes followed for Mosta as Kurt Magro was sent off for a double booking two minutes from time. From the resulting free-kick, Camenzuli's powerful effort was blocked by a defender.

Goalkeeper Philip Schranz ensured a well-deserved clean-sheet when he denied Leonardo Ferreira's shot with an excellent save. From the resulting counter-attack, Camenzuli served Jake Grech but the latter's shot ended wide.

Referee Philip Farrugia's full-time whistle found the Stripes registering the first victory under the guidance of Coach Paul Zammit.

BIRKIRKARA: Philip Schranz, Cain Attard, Jake Grech, Lllywelyn Cremona, Ryan Camenzuli, Luke Montebello (46' Edward Herrera), Nikola Vukanac, Lucas Maia, Mislav Andelkovic (60' Matthew Guillaimier), Bruno Andrade (77' Kurt Zammit), Ernest N'for.

MOSTA: Andreas Vella, Leonardo Henrique Ferreira, Tyrone Farrugia, Thomas Veronese, Ivan Maric, David Ifeanyi Nworah, Kurt Magro, Dexter Xuereb (51' Zak Brincat), Edison Zarate, Christian Jorge Martins Fernandes (89' David Fenech), Ekani Jonas Rodrigues.

Referee: Philip Farrugia
Assistant Referees: Jurgen Spiteri, William Debattista
Fourth Official: Alan Mario Sant.

Yellow Cards: 6' Ryan Camenzuli, 66' Matthew Guillaumier (Birkirkara), 60' Kurt Margo (Mosta).

Red Card: 87' Kurt Magro (Mosta).

Scorers: 74' Ernest N'for, 85' Matthew Guillaumier (Birkirkara).

BOV Player of the Match: Ernest N'for (Birkirkara).

comments powered by Disqus
McDonald's Eurosport Adidas Meat Point MSV Powerade